Filed Under Butte

W.A. Clark Jr. Carriage House

Butte National Historic Landmark District

The opulent stables and carriage house of William A. Clark, Jr., son of copper king millionaire William A. Clark, bear the unmistakable hallmark of Butte architect H. M. Patterson. The symmetrical Renaissance Revival design features a grand entry arch in a mixture of sandstone trim and mottled chocolate brick, a granite foundation, and servant quarters above. Constructed for $35,000 in 1900, the front area of the carriage house has space for cleaning and storage of ten horse-drawn vehicles. The back portion of the building was devoted to stable purposes. The six stalls, outfitted with polished brass and iron accoutrements, had white porcelain side walls. The floor was heated and equipped with bell traps connected to the city sewer. The Butte Miner in 1901 declared: “The horses belonging to Mr. Clark can congratulate themselves that, so far as they are concerned, they are living in a palace.”

Images

W.A. Clark Jr. Carriage House
W.A. Clark Jr. Carriage House W.A. Clark Jr. Carriage House (PAc 91-51 B3 RollJK03 F13). Front to side view of the carriage house, facing southwest on West Galena Street. Tree blocking the front arch entry is no longer there. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Jeff Kestle Date: 1984
W.A. Clark Jr Carriage House
W.A. Clark Jr Carriage House facade Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Julian Boughton and Martha Kohl Date: July 2022

Location

834 & 836 West Galena Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “W.A. Clark Jr. Carriage House,” Historic Montana, accessed July 13, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/1926.