Filed Under Butte

Independent Order of Good Templars, Butte

Butte National Historic Landmark District

Both men and women were admitted to this temperance organization, whose Montana Grand Lodge was organized in 1868. Butte Lodge #14 commissioned architect H. M. Patterson to design this appealing three-story building, completed in 1891, which served as the group’s meeting hall. While Patterson demonstrated exceptional talent in local residential design, his commercial and public commissions were the key to his considerable reputation. This was his first major commercial project. The upper floors reveal Patterson’s creative flair: graceful semi-circular arches, recessed windows with rough-faced stone sills, and fine decorative brickwork. The building’s present use as a bar defies the Templar ethic to “…never cease until the last vestige of that fearful vice … is driven from our land.”

Images

Independent Order of Good Templars
Independent Order of Good Templars Independent Order of Good Templars (PAc 91-51 B1 RollCBD13 F16). Front to side view of the building, facing south to southwest on West Broadway Street near the intersection of Hamilton Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1985

Location

42 West Broadway Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Independent Order of Good Templars, Butte,” Historic Montana, accessed May 26, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/1876.