Filed Under Missoula

Berne House

University Area Historic District

Longtime Missoula resident John C. Berne and his wife Agnes moved into this Queen Anne style home around 1912. The Bernes moved here from Billings where John was a brick manufacturer. John continued manufacturing bricks once in this city and made many of the bricks that were used in the building of downtown business blocks, the Montana State Prison at Deer Lodge, and the State Hospital at Warm Springs. Aside from manufacturing bricks, John was also a well-known miner in the Butte area and served as a prison guard at the state prison for a number of years. In addition to his numerous business ventures, John was a charter member of the Missoula council of the Knights of Columbus. The two-and-one-half story home retains a simple wraparound porch supported by six classical columns. A tower on the northeast side highlights the structure’s period characteristics. Coarse shingles and brick, reflecting the Victorian love of varied wall textures, cover the exterior.

Images

Berne House
Berne House Berne House. Front view of the house, facing west near the intersection of Hilda Avenue and South 6th Street East. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1998
Berne House
Berne House Berne House. Front to side view of the house, facing northwest on Hilda Avenue. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1998

Location

805 Hilda Avenue, Missoula, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Berne House,” Historic Montana, accessed April 15, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/1619.