415 Connell Avenue
University Area Historic District
Contractor E. S. Newton, who purchased this lot in 1910, undoubtedly constructed this fashionable bungalow. With its low-pitched hipped roof and wide, sheltering eaves, the one-story residence was designed to convey a sense of comfort and security. Doubled square wooden columns add dignity to the inviting front porch, whose rubble-stone foundation reflects the early twentieth century's enthusiasm for natural building materials. The front bay window, decorated with leaded glass, echoes the style of an earlier era. Newlyweds Charlotte and Albert Whitlock purchased the residence in 1912, and in 1930 the couple still lived here with a full-time Filipino manservant. An early instructor at the law school, Albert had an illustrious legal career. He became the school's dean in 1915, all the while maintaining an active private practice. In 1935, the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad hired Albert as general council, and he and Charlotte moved to Seattle. He later became the railroad's vice president. In 1937, the Whitlocks sold their longtime home, which still looks much as it did almost one hundred years ago.