Filed Under Red Lodge

W.A. Talmage Company Hardware

Red Lodge Commercial Historic District

A keen sense of the town’s future prompted businessman William Talmage to move his hardware business away from the busy commercial center a few blocks south to this building in 1894. When other businesses began to move to the newly platted main street in 1895, owners “lined up” their buildings with Talmage’s storefront. The original one-story sandstone building acquired its second floor in 1902, and Talmage moved the iron lettering to the top of the parapet. By 1907, commercial space included a hardware and grocery with an office at the rear. Elegant arched tripartite windows and a Greek-patterned fret band embellish the locally manufactured brick of the upper floor.

Images

W.A. Talmage Co. Hardware, front elevation Still image capture of the hardware store facade. Image adhered to paper with typed information. b&w print. Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana Creator: Unidentified photographer Date: 1985

Location

23 Broadway Avenue North, Red Lodge, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “W.A. Talmage Company Hardware,” Historic Montana, accessed December 3, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/144.