Filed Under Missoula

Natural Science Building

The University of Montana Historic District

The first building added to the campus after 1908 was this facility, which housed the most modern equipment for all branches of life science research, including a stereopticon and motion picture apparatus. Begun in 1917 and completed in 1919, it was the first of eight campus buildings designed according to the new Carsley-Gilbert master plan, which inspired ordered expansion of the University. Architects McIver, Cohagen, and Marshall of Billings chose the Renaissance Revival style thus setting the standard for the remaining Carsley-Gilbert plan buildings added between 1922 and 1927. In 1977, the facility was renamed the Botany Building in honor of its sole remaining occupant.

Images

Natural Science Building
Natural Science Building Natural Science Building. Front to side view of the building, facing east to northeast on the University of Montana campus to the north of the Botany Laboratory and Greenhouse. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020
Natural Science Building
Natural Science Building Natural Science Building. Front view of the building, facing east on the University of Montana Campus near the Journalism Building (west). Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020
Natural Science Building
Natural Science Building Natural Science Building. Front to side view of the building, facing east to southeast on the University of Montana campus with the Botany Laboratory situated to the right (south) in the photograph. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020

Location

32 Campus Drive, Missoula, Montana | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Natural Science Building,” Historic Montana, accessed April 15, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/967.