642 South Fifth Street West

McCormick Neighborhood Historic District

Elegant Colonial Revival and classical stylistic elements define the architecture of this two-and-one-half-story residence. Round columns support the open front porch while hipped roof dormers add living space and light. Boxed eaves, an ornately bracketed cornice, and dentils (toothlike projections) beneath the cornice line reflect the builders’ attention to detail. By 1902, developers had platted the 600 block of South Fifth. Eight years later, William and Clara Berry and H. G. and Lottie Ford purchased lot seven, building this house as an investment. Furniture salesman David Haviland rented the home for his wife Leta, their two daughters, and Leta's brother, a drapery salesman, in 1910. Grocer Thomas Farley and his wife Edna occupied the residence by 1920, purchasing it in 1922. In 1926, the Farleys sold the house to Oscar and Effie Wold. Born in Norway, Oscar immigrated to the United States as a young boy. His career with the Forest Service began in 1908, and he served as longtime fiscal agent in Missoula. The couple and their daughter lived here, sometimes joined by other family members, until after World War II.

Images

Map

642 South 5th Street West, Missoula, Montana ~ Private