Filed Under Virginia City
Strasburger's Colorado Store (Jewelry Store)
Virginia City National Historic Landmark District
Inspired by the Renaissance Revival style, the impressive façade of this 1863 building reveals a storefront design very innovative for the 1860s. By the 1880s this “reverse bay style” door and window arrangement became a standard storefront treatment. The façade remains unchanged today except for the replacement of the center door circa 1890. The building houses two shops; Isador Strasburger operated a men’s clothing shop in the larger section until the mid 1870s. After 1878, the building served as a residence for many years. The Boveys recreated a jewelry store, similar to J. B. LaBeau’s two doors up, and added the porch in 1949.