J.F. Stoer Saloon

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

Retail liquor dealer J. F. Stoer operated here from the raucous 1860s until about 1890. From that time until 1908, Smith and Boyd, who ran the livery next door, ran this establishment, aptly renamed the “Bale of Hay.” After 1908, the building stood empty until 1946, when the Boveys saved it from collapse and added a front porch. In 1983, a fire heavily damaged the building. Construction to repair the building was confined to the saloon’s interior, allowing the outer square-hewn log walls, supported by a new inner structure, to remain place.

Images

Map

332 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana ~ Private