This narrow frame building may be one of Virginia City’s earliest structures, dating to the summer of 1863, when buildings like this were rented for up to $175 during the initial gold rush. Its odd-sized door appears to have been locally handmade. First owner D. H. Weston also owned a “hotel” across the street, and S. L. Simpson and J. G. Vetters, owners in the 1870s, may have rented this building as a tonsorial parlor. An early photo shows a barber pole out front. The building served as a residence from the 1880s until 1946, when the Boveys acquired it.