This building, constructed of logs by D. W. Tilton in the fall of 1863, housed Montana’s first newspaper, founded in 1864. The stone print shop at the rear was completed in January 1865, and the following year a new Gothic style façade was applied over the log section. Editor Thomas J. Dimsdale first published his Vigilantes of Montana in serial form in the Post in 1865-1866. It became the first book published in Montana, also printed here. A fire in 1937 destroyed the wooden sections of the building. The Historic Landmark Society of Montana, with donations from Charles Bovey, repaired the stone walls and faithfully reconstructed the original log structure in 1946.