Kiskadden's Stone Block (Vigilante Barn)

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

Virginia City’s first stone building, constructed during the summer of 1863, originally housed three stores on the ground floor and a meeting hall upstairs. Popular legend has long designated this as the meeting place of the Vigilantes, who prosecuted and hung two dozen outlaw road agents in Virginia City between 1863 and 1864. Grocer William Kiskadden, the original occupant, married the former Mrs. Jack Slade after Slade was hung by the Vigilantes. Blacksmith George Thexton remodeled the building as a livery in the early 1870s, removing one of the two original center doors to enlarge the entrance and reusing it on the hay loft above.

Images

Map

309 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana ~ Private