Filed Under Virginia City

Kiskadden's Stone Block (Vigilante Barn)

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

Virginia City’s first stone building, constructed during the summer of 1863, originally housed three stores on the ground floor and a meeting hall upstairs. Popular legend has long designated this as the meeting place of the Vigilantes, who prosecuted and hung two dozen outlaw road agents in Virginia City between 1863 and 1864. Grocer William Kiskadden, the original occupant, married the former Mrs. Jack Slade after Slade was hung by the Vigilantes. Blacksmith George Thexton remodeled the building as a livery in the early 1870s, removing one of the two original center doors to enlarge the entrance and reusing it on the hay loft above.

Images

Kiskadden's Stone Barn, Virginia City
Kiskadden's Stone Barn, Virginia City View of Wallace Street facade. Sign reads "STORAGE. Wm. Kiskadden & Co. Wholesale Grocers. COMMISSION." Source: Montana Heritage Commission, Virginia City. Creator: Kate Steeley, Montana Heritage Commission. Date: October 2019
Old Kiskadden Livery Stable, Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana.
Old Kiskadden Livery Stable, Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana. View of a stone building with barn doors at the center and an upper level. Old Kiskadden livery stable, remains of the City Bakery to the left, located on Wallace Street in Virginia City, Montana. Source: 956-251, MHS Legacy Photograph Collection, Montana Historical Society Research Center Photograph Archives, Helena, MT. Creator: Unknown photographer Date: Circa 1920

Location

309 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Kiskadden's Stone Block (Vigilante Barn),” Historic Montana, accessed May 21, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/876.