Montana Territory’s oldest brewery, founded in 1863, is today a rare example of once-common small town breweries. Though several additions to the 1860s building expanded the booming business, its exterior appearance remains unchanged from the 1880s. Proprietor Henry Gilbert’s home and the century-old willows of his “beer garden” park enhance the landscape. The brewery was closed by Prohibition in 1919 and Gilbert Beer, proclaimed by connoisseurs among the nation’s best, was made no longer. Charles Bovey stabilized the building in 1946 and later remodeled the interior, but original brewing equipment remains in place.