Henry Elling Clothing Store

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

Henry Elling, one of Montana’s early prominent businessmen, first arrived in Virginia City in 1864 with a small stock of men’s clothing. In 1867, Elling returned to Virginia City and opened a store where the Buford warehouse is now located. Elling moved his thriving business to the prestigious Content’s Corner in 1872. He became involved in buying and selling gold, entered the banking business in 1873, and was eventually involved in most mining and mercantile ventures in the area and in banking throughout Montana. Charles Bovey built this reproduction of the original Elling Store with its Greek Revival storefront and museum display as part of his intent to create “living history.”

Images

Map

314 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana ~ Private