Ben Holladay’s Overland Stage reached Virginia City in 1864, and from that time until 1899, stages arrived and departed from this site for connections all over the West and the States. Bought out by Wells Fargo and Company in 1866, the office also housed the telegraph. In 1899, S. R. Buford, whose successful grocery and hardware stores were on either side of the older building, tore it down and constructed this building, the Buford Block, to expand his grocery department. The Wells Fargo office then moved to a rented location two doors east. After Buford’s death in 1905, his sons carried on the business until 1926.