Anaconda Hotel (Faiweather Inn)

Virginia City National Historic Landmark District

The oldest section of this building, dating to 1863, was first a simple one-story building that housed a restaurant called the “Young American Eating House.” A butcher shop followed from 1866 to the 1880s, and then in the 1880s the building was a hotel/saloon. It became the Anaconda Hotel and Saloon in the 1890s under proprietor Frank McKeen. Renaming it the Fairweather Inn after the discoverer of gold in Alder Gulch, in 1946 Charles Bovey raised the height of the old hotel to two stories and added a “new” façade that duplicates the gold rush-era design of the then-demolished Goodrich House in Bannack.

Images

Map

305 West Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana ~ Private