The home of territorial Governor Benjamin Potts sat on this property from the 1870s until this grand residence was built for prominent Helenans Charles B. and Mable Power circa 1907. Power’s father was merchant prince and early U.S. Senator T. C. Power; his wife was the adopted daughter of wealthy railroad contractor Peter Larson whose home across the street later became the official governor’s residence. The Powers and their two small children along with five servants occupied the home until 1914. Ellen Carter, widow of Montana senator Thomas Carter, was the next of several owners. The grand design reflects a variety of newly emerging architectural trends and influences including the Prairie and Tudor styles and the Arts and Crafts movement. The Prairie style predominates in this impressive hybrid. Slightly flared eaves, broad flat chimneys, latticed third-floor windows, bold half-timbering, light-colored brick, and brick porch supports are all characteristic of the eclectic Prairie school, popular from about 1900 to 1920.