Historic maps of the South-Central neighborhood show that, by 1888, a substantial frame residence had been built atop this gentle knoll on the corner of Spencer and Pine. A corral, a chicken coop, and stables to the south were its next door neighbors. In 1898, French Canadian Joseph Dagenais and his wife Corinne settled on the property, and by 1900, they owned the home free and clear. Dagenais, who came to Helena in the 1880s, was a well-known contracting teamster. The couple had seven children, only three of whom survived infancy. Daughter Celia lived at home and worked as a cashier at Fligelman’s New York Dry Goods Store for many, many years. After Joseph’s death in 1941, Celia and Corinne remained at home here until the mid-1950s. In 1966, Antonio and Juanita Linguista purchased the property. Their love for it passed to their daughter and the home remains today in the Linguista family. Although newer siding and storm windows have brightened its appearance, this early residence is otherwise unaltered, tucked away behind mature landscaping.