Originally this was a one-story stone building erected in 1874 to accommodate the business of Morris and Julius Sands. The brothers added a second story and remodeled the façade in 1889, finishing it with alternating rows of buff sandstone and blue limestone in the popular Romanesque style. Arcaded, arched windows supported by Roman columns and granite piers highlight the second story. Note the carved lions’ faces in the arch spandrels. At the rear of the building, the original first-floor stonework is evident with the later 1889 brickwork visible above.