Filed Under Helena

Governor Leslie House

Helena Historic District (Boundary Increase II)

Territorial Governor Preston Leslie was a resident of this early Helena home, constructed in the late 1870s. Originally built in the Gothic Revival style popular during Helena’s townsite period, later remodeling added classical details. The two distinct styles are evident at the center of the second story where a triangular pediment supported on classical columns has been placed in front of the steeply pitched “Gothic” gable. President Grover Cleveland appointed Leslie, a former governor of Kentucky, to the Montana office after Samuel T. Hauser’s resignation. Leslie served from 1887 to 1889. President Cleveland later appointed him Montana’s U.S. District Attorney. This home was the interim executive mansion during 1888 while the Leslies awaited completion of a new residence on Broadway. State Mining Inspector George G. Swallow then occupied this home until 1894. During the later 1890s, Madame Carla LaFleur operated her furrier business from the house. Significant as one of only several surviving examples of Gothic Revival architecture from Helena’s earliest period, the landmark home gains prestige as a territorial governor’s residence.

Images

Governor Leslie House
Governor Leslie House Governor Leslie House. Front view of the house, facing east on North Rodney Street near the intersection of North Rodney and 6th Avenue. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020
Governor Leslie House
Governor Leslie House Governor Leslie House. Front to side view of the house, facing southeast at the intersection of North Rodney Street and 6th Avenue. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020

Location

219 North Rodney Street, Helena, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Governor Leslie House,” Historic Montana, accessed April 21, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/720.