This building is an excellent example of transitional Western Commercial architecture before the advent of more ornate styles. The simple, narrow plan enhanced by decorative windows is typical of the 1870s and early 1880s. A pressed metal cornice crowns the top. The 1884 structure, tucked into the hillside, was designed by St. Louis architect F. D. Lee for Colonel C. A. Broadwater. The Goodkind brothers operated a wine, liquor, and cigar business here until 1918. The storefront was remodeled in the 1920s by haberdashers Gans and Klein.