Filed Under Helena

Gold Block

Helena Historic District

On July 16, 1928, a devastating fire swept between the Granite and Gold Blocks (note inscription, second story center). The structure was rebuilt by then-owner Charles Benton Power and was the last major downtown commercial building constructed by this wealthy family. The new Gold Block was designed by local architect George Carsley using a system called the “spiral mushroom,” which supposedly offered structural protection against earthquakes. Mission-style parapet tiling and Gothic-influenced windows and entrances highlight this fine example of 1920s commercial architecture.

Images

Gold Block Gold Block. Front view of the building, facing west on North Last Chance Gulch near the Power Block. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020
Gold Block Gold Block. Front view of the building, facing northeast on North Last Chance Gulch with the New York Block to the left in the photograph and the Power Block to the right. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Michael Connolly Date: Jan. 2020

Location

50-56 North Last Chance Gulch, Helena, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Gold Block,” Historic Montana, accessed February 9, 2023, https://historicmt.org/items/show/710.