Filed Under Helena

Herman Gans House

Helena Historic District

This appealing residence was an early addition to one of Helena’s first neighborhoods, completed circa 1880 and enlarged in 1884 by prominent Helena clothing merchant Herman Gans. The bayed tower, arched windows, stained glass, and south side porch with decorative railing elegantly epitomize the Queen Anne style. A richly appointed interior including six ornate fireplaces, various woods and marble, and an impressive entry hall reflect Gans’ cosmopolitan tastes. Prior to 1930, the original front porch was enlarged, adding a massive Craftsman style stone foundation and pillars. The home, however, retains its nineteenth-century charm and remains today a “center of gracious hospitality.”

Images

Herman Gans House
Herman Gans House Herman Gans House (PAc 91-51 South Central Helena Roll03 F39). Front to side view of the house, facing west on the corner of North Ewing Street and 9th Avenue near the Cathedral of St. Helena. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1981
Herman Gans House
Herman Gans House Herman Gans House (PAc 91-51 South Central Helena Roll03 F40). Front view of the house, facing northwest on North Ewing Street near the corner of North Ewing and North 9th Avenue diagonal to the Cathedral of St. Helena. B&W. Source: Photographer unidentified Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1981

Location

416 North Ewing Street, Helena, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Herman Gans House,” Historic Montana, accessed June 17, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/709.