Entrepreneur T. H. Kleinschmidt was the original owner of this early Italianate style dwelling, built as investment property circa 1884. Kleinschmidt, three times elected mayor of Helena, had diverse local business interests including utilities, livestock, and real estate. This residence was fashionably situated across the street from Courthouse Square, the center of territorial and early state government. The Kleinschmidts, along with their servant and coachman, were in residence here during the early 1890s while their eastside mansion was under construction. Tenants who took in roomers and boarders in the early 1900s included Helena Drug Company proprietor Eugene Meyer and the Piercy family. The single-family dwelling was converted to apartments after 1920. Stucco added over the brick exterior in 1927 slightly changed its look, but the historic residence retains many original features including arched windows, a low hip roof, bay windows, and an asymmetrical facade.