During the 1880s masonry structures began to replace wood-framed buildings from the mining camp days to form the present town. George H. Harn, who at that time ran one of two local brickyards, probably built this fine residence with his own bricks. James Patten Sr. came to Philipsburg from Illinois and purchased the home from Harn in 1887. Patten was a prominent businessman involved in the operation of the nearby Trout and Sweet Home Mines. The one-and-one-half-story home features a hipped roof, bay window with wood paneled spandrels, and porches with slender turned columns, decorative brackets, spindled balustrades, and scrolled friezes.