Filed Under Philipsburg
Philipsburg Historic Disctrict
Colonel J. W. Morse built Morse Hall in 1887. This elaborately detailed public lecture hall also served as county courthouse after 1893, as well as an opera house, town hall, library, and general community center. Its splendid second-story dance floor was the scene of many gala community dances as well as basketball games. The pressed metal cornice, hood moldings, and full storefront supported by cast-iron columns make this building a fine example of commercial vernacular architecture.