The Adams Hotel

Rancher Ludwig C. Lehfeldt sold 33,000 acres of ranch land to the Milwaukee Road in 1907 prompting the relocation of the Lavina townsite. Realizing the need for a hotel, Lehfeldt hired architects Link and Haire—who drew the plans for the 1910 additions to the Montana State Capitol—to design the impressive Colonial Revival style building. Lehfeldt named the hotel, completed for $20,000 in fall 1908, after his friend, Milwaukee Road vice president John Q. Adams. The Adams' main entrance faced Main Street with a secondary north entrance facing the railroad tracks and depot. It was a first-class establishment offering steam heat, gas lighting, a bar generously stocked with the finest liquors and cigars, an elegant dining room serving fine meals, and a ladies’ withdrawing room on the second floor. Each guest room was beautifully appointed with carpeting, fine furnishings, and a matching china washbowl and pitcher set. Pure linen sheets and down comforters promised a good night's rest even in the coldest winter weather. The grand two-story hostelry hosted dances and social events in its spacious dining room and lobby and thus became the center of local hospitality. Lavina flourished with the homestead boom but drought, crop failures, and bank closures took their toll. The Adams declined, few guests stayed in its once-opulent rooms, and by the mid-1920s the hotel closed. From the 1930s through the 1970s, the Lutheran Church used the bar area as its chapel. After changing hands several times, restoration began in 2000.



1 Main Street, Lavina, Montana ~ Private