Filed Under Kalispell

Conrad House (Mansion)

In 1895, five years after serving as one of the first directors of the Kalispell Townsite Company, Charles E. Conrad moved his extended family into this twenty-three-room mansion. The pioneer businessman had arrived in Montana from his native Virginia in 1868, at age 18, with his brother William. They were employed by, and then bought I. G. Baker Company, a mercantile and freighting business based in Fort Benton. The brothers expanded that business and ventured into banking, establishing the Conrad Brothers Bank in 1892. Over the years, Charles traveled into the Flathead Valley to hunt, referring to it as the “Valley of Paradise.” Conrad’s friendship with James J. Hill influenced the Great Northern Railroad’s route here and Kalispell’s early growth. The entrepreneur chose prominent Spokane architect Kirtland K. Cutter to design a home that would fit his seventy-two-acre wooded estate. Cutter selected an early-Norman design, with four native stone chimneys serving eight fireplaces, stained and mullioned glass, hardwood interiors, and many up-to-the-minute conveniences. Conrad died in 1902, but his wife carried on the family tradition of exuberant hospitality until her death in 1923. The home was donated to the City of Kalispell in 1975 by the youngest Conrad daughter Alicia Conrad Campbell.

Audio

Conrad Mansion Audio recording about the Bannack Masonic Lodge which also functioned as Bannack's school. Prepared and recorded by Montana Historical Society staff member Ellen Baumler. Presented on the Soundcloud channel "Montana History on the Go" 2015. Source: Montana History on the Go Creator: Ellen Baumler Date: 2016

Images

Conrad House (Mansion) Conrad House (Mansion) (PAc 91-51 Kalispell R48 F02). Front to side view of the house, facing west to southwest on Woodland Avenue near the intersection of Woodland and 3rd Street East. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Kathy McKay Date: Dec. 1992

Location

313 6th Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Conrad House (Mansion),” Historic Montana, accessed February 1, 2023, https://historicmt.org/items/show/505.