Filed Under Kalispell

Metcalf House

West Side Historic District

Thomas E. Chester built this gable-front residence for his bride, Effie, in 1903. Chester’s bookstore, established in 1907, became a Kalispell fixture. John Boorman, secretary of the Montana Forestry Association from 1911 to 1946, lived here briefly in 1909. John T. Sauntry brought his bride, Agnes, to live in the home in 1910. Sauntry was owner and president of the Kalispell Business College. While in residence, the Sauntrys had a pair of rocking chairs—a wedding gift—stolen from the front porch. Longtime owner John Metcalf was county sheriff in 1919 when he purchased the home and later, as an engineer for the City Water Department, he designed Lawrence Park. His family retained ownership until 1964. With the exception of some remodeling at the rear, the appearance of this appealing residence is little altered. Notable interior features include beautiful oak floors, French glass doors, a cold storage room with an oak-planked dirt floor, and the original parlor wallpaper.


229 7th Street West, Kalispell, Montana | Private


The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Metcalf House,” Historic Montana, accessed April 19, 2024,