Spafford House

East Side Historic District

A bird's-eye view of Kalispell drawn in 1897 shows this Colonial Revival style residence already in place on its prominent corner. The Kalispell Building and Loan Association likely built the home in 1895 when the company obtained title to the property. The first known resident was Dr. Arthur Burch, a local dentist, who lived with his family at this address by 1900. Attorney Mark B. Cornrow, a widower with two infant daughters, purchased the home in 1907. Louis Spafford, editor and manager of the Daily Inter Lake newspaper, was the next owner. Louis and his wife, Hilma, lived here for nearly fifty years and the Spafford family retained ownership until 1991. A rectangular plan, symmetrically balanced windows, pedimented entry with sidelights, and long shed-roofed dormers reflect the Colonial Revival style. Tucked into the landscape and framed by ample shade trees, this pleasant home exemplifies the East Side’s earliest period of development.



504 6th Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private