Scottish immigrant John Simpson had this two-story home built in 1901 by contractor and lumberman Elmer Bader. Simpson and his wife Minnie lived here off and on with their seven children for many years. Herbert and Johanna Harmon owned and occupied this house between Simpson ownerships. The Harmons rented out a furnished south room in their “congenial private home,” advertising the new amenity of electric lights and an indoor bath. In 1907, the Simpsons returned to Kalispell from Spokane and John resumed his career with the Kalispell Mercantile Company. After Simpson’s death in 1915, his wife owned the residence until 1934. Walter and Clara Stearns purchased the property from the Simpson family in 1939 and continued to rent out a two-room private apartment for the next six years. A bay window and a gabled dormer adorn the south end of the house.