Filed Under Kalispell

McIntosh House

East Side Historic District

This beautiful gable-front-and-wing residence, built for newlyweds John and Sophie McIntosh, captures the best of the exuberant 1890s with a wealth of Queen Anne details. The Flathead Herald-Journal declared upon its completion in 1894 that the marvelous home rivaled Kalispell’s best in “style, finish and comfort.” Set atop a natural rise dubbed “Knob Hill,” the newspaper went on to comment that its owner would thus occupy “the most exalted position in Kalispell.” Finely crafted details, including fishscale shingles, wavy clapboard, a sunray pattern, and elaborate stained glass parlor transoms, embellish the canted, or “beveled,” front gable. McIntosh had a successful and varied career in Kalispell, selling everything from hardware and pianos to automobiles. His opera house, built in 1896, was the town’s longtime cultural center. Sophie died in 1920 and John McIntosh in 1947, but the home remained in the family until 1979.

Images

McIntosh House McIntosh House (PAc 91-51 Kalispell R05 F20). Front to side view of the house, facing west to southwest on 5th Avenue East. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Alan Thompson Date: Dec. 1991

Location

511 4th Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “McIntosh House,” Historic Montana, accessed January 28, 2023, https://historicmt.org/items/show/445.