King House

East Side Historic District

Kalispell contractor Caesar Haverlandt built this vintage home circa 1909 for his brother Charles who owned the property. In 1911, John H. Graves, an early settler of Flathead Valley, purchased the residence. Graves was an avid reader and reportedly established the state’s first circulating library in Diamond City. He later served as Flathead County’s first assessor and owned the Valley House Hotel. Dean and Metta King purchased the home in 1918. King served as a court reporter, county attorney, and judge of the 11th Judicial District retiring in 1958 after seventeen years on the bench. Metta King was prominent in community affairs, including the Montana Federation of Women’s Clubs, the Keep Montana Green program, and the Century Club. This well preserved Craftsman-style house features exposed rafter tails, front and rear dormers, an engaged partial-width front porch supported by heavy square columns, and elaborate decorative stained-glass windows in the front. In 1999, the interior and exterior of the residence was completely renovated to its original splendor.

Images

Map

840 4th Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private