Foot / Templeton House
East Side Historic District
Charles H. Foot left his bride in Minnesota in the spring of 1891 to establish a home for them in Montana. Theresa Foot joined her husband in Kalispell the following July where he had set up the first law practice in the newly platted town. The couple built this home, one of the first in the neighborhood, between 1891 and 1894. The residence is a pleasing example of the gable-front-and-wing house form popularized by the advent of the railroad. Balloon framing techniques and the availability of shipped-in lumber made this type of urban folk housing especially desirable and affordable. Leaded window glass and Victorian-era turned porch posts with graceful scrollwork follow the Queen Anne traditions of the late nineteenth century. The original front porch has been carefully restored and moved to the back of the house. After several other owners and occupants, Flathead County High School principal Payne Templeton and his wife, Gladys, purchased the home in 1924 and lived here until 1936.