Dunsire House

East Side Historic District

Leaded glass transoms, Tuscan columns, a bay window, and spacious porch spanning the front recall nineteenth-century requirements for a comfortable, homey dwelling. Isabelle and David Sturtevant first owned this early residence, built between 1891 and 1894, as rental property. In 1900, Andrew Dunsire bought the house. Dunsire was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, and came to the Flathead Valley in 1888 where he worked as a ship’s purser on Flathead Lake and Kootenai River steamers. His sailing days were over in 1892 when Isabella Ritchie arrived from Elgin, Scotland. Andrew met her train at Missoula and the couple immediately went to the Episcopal Church where they were married. They traveled by train, coach, and boat to Kalispell where they made their home. Andrew served as county assessor from 1897 to 1904 and eventually went into the dry goods business. The couple had no children, but took in Isabella’s sister, Andrew’s nephew, and boarders. After Andrew’s death in 1947, Isabella remained in the family home until her death in 1952 at 93.

Images

Map

545 2nd Avenue East, Kalispell, Montana ~ Private