520 Fourth Avenue East
East Side Historic District
Slightly arched windows, prominent eave returns, a canted front bay, and decorative shingles reflect the care builders took constructing this one-story home. Retired merchant Jacob Bottorf and his wife Emily resided here from the residence's construction, circa 1900, until 1907. Likely they moved to Kalispell to be near their son, Dr. Morris Bottorf, a prominent local physician and early automobile enthusiast. Bertha and Henry Petterson purchased the brick home in 1908, and after Bertha died, Henry raised two children here, remaining in residence until 1928. A cobbler and then a representative for the Eagle Shoe Company, Henry emigrated from Norway in 1885. Henry was part of a mass exodus; only Ireland lost a larger percentage of its population to the New World than Norway. The Pettersons converted what was originally a small alley residence into a garage and possibly re-sided the home with stucco. Evelyn Iverson purchased the house in 1929. She and her husband Oscar, a meat cutter at Sykes Market, lived here only a year before turning the residence into a rental property.