Warr Building

Lewistown Central Business Historic District

Austin W. Warr employed renowned architect John H. Kent—one of the architects for the Montana Capitol Building—to design the Warr Building. Warr organized the Lewistown Telephone Company in 1899. Upon completion of this new office building in 1904, Warr relocated the Telephone Company here. The Lewistown Telephone Company remained in this structure until 1912, when Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph purchased the local telephone companies. The Fergus County Argus then operated out of this facility for several years. In 1941, the Lewistown Pharmacy opened its doors to the public and continues to serve Lewistown from this location. The second floor served as a rooming house beginning in 1918. A cast-iron column separates the residential entry from the storefront. Lewistown became known as the City of Stone due to its reliance on stone as the primary building material. The façade features alternate cut and dressed stone and flamboyant arches, exemplifying the craftsmanship of stone masonry prevalent in buildings erected in Lewistown during the early twentieth century.

Images

Map

212 West Main Street, Lewistown, Montana ~ Private