A stone wall spanning the front yard marks the land where Kalispell developer Charles E. and Alice Conrad’s outbuildings once stood across from their opulent Shingle style mansion. A carriage house, stable, kitchen garden, and horse pasture occupied this land from 1895 until new owners demolished the buildings in 1928. The land sat vacant for years until William “Bill” and Pamela McKnight built this Colonial Revival style residence circa 1939. Montana’s weak economy during the Great Depression slowed home construction during the 1930s, but Bill had made a fortune in the Kevin-Sunburst oil fields in north-central Montana. After his retirement in 1935, he and Alice hired architect Fred Brinkman to design their dream home. They spared no expense in building a thoroughly modern home, which included luxuries such as central air conditioning, a dishwasher, an electric washer and dryer, a kitchen ventilator fan, and built-in radios. Bill’s den featured his prized collection of Navajo rugs, and large windows on the house’s east side afforded sweeping mountain views. The McKnights sold the home to Milo and Ellie Roberts in 1946 and moved to California.