During Hamilton’s “Big Ditch” era, investors purchased the ninety-acre Pine Grove addition. Carpenter Lester Smith built this Craftsman style home in 1910. Distinctive elements include a flared hipped roof, integrated porch, tapered brick chimney, and varying-width clapboard siding. Lester and wife Ada lived here briefly, followed by Ada’s sister Bessie Hoagland and husband Frank. Frank owned The Hub clothing store and was active in the chamber of commerce, fire department, hospital association, Masonic Lodge, Republican Party, and Presbyterian Church. He was an avid outdoorsman and breeder of prize-winning poultry. Bessie volunteered for their church’s ladies aid society and the Hamilton Woman’s Club. Amid a stagnant economy, Frank liquidated his business in 1923 and the family moved to California. Subsequent homeowners Godfrey and Florence Hagens fought construction of the Rocky Mountain Laboratory claiming infected lab ticks would threaten Hamilton residents’ health and lower property values. Their efforts failed and the laboratory opened in 1928. A decade later, Bitterroot National Forest Supervisor Guy Brandborg and wife Edna purchased the house. A conservation advocate, Guy was instrumental in the push for sustainable forest management practices.