Rubble stone construction with brick veneer became Main Street’s preferred design after 1909. The elegant façade of this business block is an early example of the newer style, constructed before 1911 when locally produced bricks became available. Ground-floor businesses offered food and libation at the Montana Buffet or pool and billiards next door at Spring and Eldred’s. Upstairs, dance enthusiasts “tripped the light fantastic” at charity and dress balls, weekly dances, and dance classes. In 1914, Professor Oswald of Seattle taught the latest steps like the Hesitation Waltz and the tango. The exaggerated height, arched windows, and decorative sheet metal cornice of the upper floor appear today as they did in 1909.