Filed Under Place

Carlson / Hubbard House

Swedish immigrants Anton and Bessie Carlson purchased this classic American Foursquare style home in 1911. Foursquares were popular for their efficient floorplan, affordability, and simple yet dignified aesthetic. They were also emblematic of Paris Gibson’s vision for Great Falls as Montana’s city of industry. The Carlson’s only daughter Emma married Frank Hubbard in 1912 and they shared the residence until Bessie’s death in 1957. Anton inspected locomotives for the Great Northern Railroad and Bessie was active in the Order of the Eastern Star and White Shrine of Jerusalem Masonic fraternities. Son-in-law Frank worked at the Great Falls Tribune for forty-five years where he supervised the book binding department. He also earned a fifty-year pin for his membership in the bookbinders’ union. Emma Hubbard volunteered as an election judge and was engaged in Great Falls’ civic life. She led the Newcomers’ Club, served the military community through the United Services Organization, and spoke at the Rainbow Research Club, a social club that promoted women’s literacy and intellectual self-expression. Beginning in 1958, Florence Mans operated a boarding house at the property.

Images

Carlson/Hubbard House
Carlson/Hubbard House facade Source: Google Streetview Image Creator: Google Streetview Date: Oct 2021

Location

618 3rd Avenue North

Metadata

Montana Historical Society, “Carlson / Hubbard House,” Historic Montana, accessed May 18, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/3421.