Prominent Butte architect H. M. Patterson designed four identical duplexes along this block in 1899 for William A. Clark Jr., the son of copper king W. A. Clark. These distinctive Queen Anne style residences feature exaggerated street-facing gables and multi-textured wall surfaces of granite, brick, clapboard, and wood shingles. Each duplex cost a substantial $4,000. Young Clark’s residential development signaled the move of Butte’s affluent, socially prominent citizens to the far west side with Excelsior as the main artery. Clark’s law school friend and future chief legal adviser, John Templeman, lived at No. 226 with his wife Irene (Belle) and son Percy until 1920. John was a former University of Virginia football star and became one of Butte’s most respected lawyers. Early tenants at No. 224 included George Cochrane, agent for the Revere Rubber Company, and music store owner William Dierks and family. Eye doctor Thomas A. Grigg and his wife Joanna purchased the duplex in 1920. Joanna was an accomplished painter and, as president of the Butte Woman’s Club, devoted her time to philanthropic efforts. Thomas died in 1934 and Joanna in 1935.