116 North Main Street
Livingston Commercial Historic District
After fire destroyed most of this side of Main Street in 1886, Chicago lawyer and financier James A. Danforth invested in building this double-front, brick commercial building. The original façade featured tall plate-glass windows divided by central and side entrances and was topped by a tasteful, stepped parapet. The building’s first tenant was clothing merchant Henry Frank. Frank moved into a new building next door in 1891. The next fifty years brought a variety of restaurants and saloons, including several Chinese restaurants between 1906 and 1927. The Fraternal Order of Eagles (F.O.E.) purchased the building in 1947. Livingston’s first Aerie No. 273 was established in 1902. In exchange for their charitable efforts (and membership dues), F.O.E. members received free medical care, an illness stipend, and a funeral benefit. Aerie No. 273 disbanded during the Great Depression, but renewed interest after World War II drew 119 charter members to the Yellowstone Park Aerie No. 2434. The Eagles modernized the façade of their new home with stucco and glass block windows and remodeled the interior. The Eagles Club remained a fixture on Main Street through 1980.