St. Jean Block/Smith Building

Anaconda Commercial Historic District

Dr. Felix L. St. Jean and brick mason Joe Cosgrove commissioned local architect Herman Kemna to design this building in 1893. Though later owners remodeled the first-floor façade and renamed the building, the second story remains among the best preserved and most elaborate cast-iron façades in downtown Anaconda. The local Tuttle Manufacturing and Supply Company designed and fabricated the iron front in an unusual Italianate/Queen Anne style featuring Eastlake ornamentation. The Eastlake style, adapted from furniture designed by English architect Charles L. Eastlake, incorporated carved brackets, ornate columns and capitals, and symmetrically placed bas relief (raised) and incised floral motifs. Dr. St. Jean, head surgeon at St. Ann’s Hospital, had his private practice and rented rooms upstairs, while the Standard Drug Company and a dance hall operated on the first floor. Dr. St. Jean was instrumental in bringing modern healthcare to Anaconda, and he also invested in mining and real estate. He formed the Georgetown Mining and Milling Company in 1890 and developed several other buildings, including the Anaconda National Bank building next door.

Images

Map

210 East Park Avenue, Anaconda, Montana ~ Public