Filed Under Virginia City

Gohn House 2

Virginia City Historic District

George Gohn, a butcher by trade, came to Alder Gulch with the first rush in June of 1863. A member of the vigilance committee and later elected to several county offices, Gohn ran a local meat market. The Gohn family lived in the house next door prior to 1867 until the completion of this fine one-and-one-half-story stone residence in 1892. Originally incorporated into the wooden house (which was moved eight feet west in 1990), the “pleasant and convenient” home boasted excellent stonework, “artistic painting,” and a very handsome interior finished in oak and maple. Most of the original features remain, including windows, doors, and porch brackets, reinforcing the frontier refinement of this well-cared for home.

Images

George E. Gohn House and Jim Emslie House, Virginia City, Montana.
George E. Gohn House and Jim Emslie House, Virginia City, Montana. View of two houses on an elevated lot, above a retaining wall. The house on the left is made of stone with a large porch. The house on the right is wood with two large windows next to the front door. The George E. Gohn house on the left and the James Emslie house (built by J.M. Lewis) on the right located on East Wallace Street in Virginia City, Montana. Source: PAc 956-382. Montana Historical Society Research Center Photograph Archives, Helena, MT. Creator: Unknown photographer Date: ca. 1910-1945
Gohn House 2
Gohn House 2 View looking southeast at building facade Source: Montana Heritage Commission Creator: Kate Steeley, Montana Heritage Commission Date: Oct 2019

Location

East Wallace Street, Virginia City | Private

Metadata

Montana National Register Sign Program, “Gohn House 2,” Historic Montana, accessed March 2, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/2793.