Joseph and Susanne Gussenhoven built this two-and-one-half-story Free Classic Queen Anne style home, known locally as “the Castle,” in 1903. Particular to this style are the irregular roofline, octagonal corner tower, textured walls, large porches, and Free Classic detailing, including Doric columns supporting the porch roof. Joseph Gussenhoven owned a lumber mill, brickyard, and lumberyard, located just west of the home, and used materials from his own businesses to construct the residence. The son of Dutch immigrants, he was a prominent entrepreneur (other businesses included a steam laundry and a cigar factory), contractor, real estate developer, newspaper publisher, and banker. This imposing brick residence, valued at a princely $8,000 in 1903, reflected and amplified his status, as well as providing room for his large family of eight children. The Gussenhovens moved in 1929, after their children were grown. In 1930, the substantial building offered lodging to ten single men, including two pharmacists, two car salesmen, a realtor, telegrapher, barber, policeman, journalist, and laborer. However, by 1941, Joseph and Susanne Gussenhoven once again occupied the home, where they lived on and off into the 1950s.