George Grubb House
East Side Historic District
As the nearby town of Demersville relocated to the Kalispell townsite in the early 1890s, attorney George Grubb and his wife Fanny settled here in this gable-front-and-wing residence built for them circa 1892. After Fanny’s death in 1894, George took in boarders until 1906 when he married Josephine Brink, a widow with a young daughter. Although Grubb had no biological children, he opened his heart to his stepdaughter Nira and Margaret Shelton, the daughter of a deceased friend. He was a beloved father to the two girls and later, grandfather to their children. Grubb practiced law for fifty years, was Kalispell’s first city attorney, and served several terms in the state legislature. His peers considered him the “Dean of the Bar” in Flathead County and a lawyer’s lawyer. Colleagues often sought his counsel after hours in the office he kept at home. Grubb worked diligently for his clients every day, including the day he passed away at eighty-two in 1944. Although the addition of a back room before 1927 and remodeling have somewhat reconfigured the interior floorplan, the home’s original footprint survives.