514 Daly Avenue

University Area Historic District

The block was sparsely developed when this Craftsman style bungalow took its place in the neighborhood circa 1921. A front-gabled roof, multi-paned Chicago style windows, wide overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails, and square columns supporting the front porch are characteristic Craftsman style features. Fred E. Buck was the home’s first owner. He began his career as a public utilities engineer in Missoula in 1909 and eventually became Helena’s chief Miles City engineer. Brice and Orell Thompson owned the property by 1924. Thompson was a fireman for the Anaconda Copper Mining Company at the lumber mill in Hamilton and later at Bonner. The Thompsons’ tenants at various times in the 1930s and 1940s included Pacific Life Insurance district manager Alfred Stephenson, prominent Missoula physician Dr. James J. Flynn, and grocer Curtis J. Austin. In the later 1940s, the Thompsons briefly occupied the home before it sold again. Inside, original built-in seating and a bookcase to either side of the fireplace express the cozy, family-oriented Craftsman ideal.

Images

Map

514 Daly Avenue, Missoula, Montana ~ Private