Filed Under Fort Benton

T.C. Power Dry Goods Store

Fort Benton Historic District

T. C. Power and Bro. was founded in 1868 at approximately this location. Initially housed in a wooden building, the store was moved in 1879 to a large brick structure across the street. When the firm expanded, a hardware store was built next door and the dry goods-saddlery building constructed in 1881. The business went bankrupt in 1934. In later years Palmer Hardware and Morrison’s Hardware occupied the building.

Images

T.C. Power Dry Goods Store T.C. Power Dry Goods Store. Front view of the building, facing north to northwest. The T.C. Power Dry Goods Store building is to the left in the photograph, while the H.J. Wackerlin Hardware Company building is on the right. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center,Fort Benton, MT Creator: Ken Robison Date: July 2020
T.C. Power Dry Goods Store T.C. Power Dry Goods Store. Front view of the building, facing north on Front Street. B&W. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: Date unknown

Location

1618 Front Street, Fort Benton, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “T.C. Power Dry Goods Store,” Historic Montana, accessed December 2, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/235.